When breeding rabbits, the rate of weight gain is one of the most important characteristics. However, various factors, primarily the breed, affect the weight of the animals. The article will go into more detail about how rabbits develop, depending on which breed they belong to.
Average weight of different breeds
When it is necessary for the rabbit to gain weight, the influence of the following factors is taken into account:
- Features of a specific species to which the animal belongs.
- The speed with which the young grow.
- Diet and quality of fur care play an important role.
This animal can be raised for different purposes:
- For the sake of meat - in such breeds, the speed of development is important to obtain high productivity of carcasses. The mass of adult furry can vary, but in most cases it exceeds the average value.
- To obtain fluff - rabbit fluff is of good quality, however, it is not as expensive as obtained from most other animals. In such a situation, the weight of the meat obtained is not important enough. The mass of adult representatives of such species ranges from 3.5 to 4 kg.
- For the sake of both fluff and meat. Such rocks occupy an intermediate position between the previously mentioned directions. Fuzzies in this case weigh 5-5.5 kg.
- For decorative purposes. When you need to determine how much a decorative rabbit usually weighs, you need to take into account that keeping small animals in the house is much easier than giants.
This breed is well known to rabbit breeders all over the world. The appearance of its representatives has its own specific features. If you look at Flandre, you will see that he is somewhat similar to a puppy. These pussies have a muscular and well knit body, thick, strong and strong legs.
This is a giant rabbit, the weight of an adult animal is 7 kg. However, you can find individual specimens that weigh one and a half times more. It is known that there was a record-holder rabbit that weighed 25 kg. The carcass of this species of rabbit weighs more than most other breeds.
The weight of a rabbit of this breed looks remarkable:
- At birth, small rabbits do not stand out in any way, compared to representatives of other breeds. The newborn's weight is 60 grams.
- In the first month of growth, it reaches eight hundred grams.
Weight after the end of the second month is 1600 g.
- During the third month, the mass increases by 1000 g.
- During the fourth month it grows as fast as during the third. During this time, its weight increases by 1 kg.
- By the end of the fifth month, she is gaining 1.1 kg. Now its weight is 4.7 kg.
- After the animal of this breed turns 240 days from the moment of birth, its weight will reach 5.5 kg.
- Over the next two months, giant rabbits reach a weight of 7.1 kg, gaining 800 g every month.
The table of rabbit meat yield from live weight is based on the following data:
- As soon as 30 days have passed from the moment of birth, the mass of the animal will be 700 grams.
- At two months, the weight indicator is 1400 g.
- After the expiration of the ninety-day period, this animal will have a mass equal to 2 kg 600 g.
- In the fourth month, he gains 900 grams.
- At the end of the fifth month, the mass will be 4.3 kg.
- Over the next 30 days, the fluffy will gain only 100 grams, but in the seventh month the increase will be 900 grams, in the eighth - 1 kg. As a result, the weight of the French Sheep rabbit will reach 6.3 kg.
The breed got its name due to the large size of the representatives. These animals look very similar to hares:
- Their legs are long and strong.
- The body can be described as slightly elongated.
- Like many other furry breeds, the White Giant is characterized by the presence of large ears.
- You can see that the back of these animals is straight and wide.
- Their coat is white.
The White Giant rabbit is, on average, heavier than most rabbit breeds. At the time of birth, it weighs 70 grams, which exceeds the mass of newborn animals of other rabbit breeds.
The growth table of rabbits in the future looks like this:
- After a month, his weight is the same as at this stage in most breeds, he is equal to 600 g.
- During the second month rabbit grows intensively and eventually gains 1 kg 600 g.
- When 120 days have passed since birth, the weight reaches 3.4 kg.
- After the sixth and seventh months, its weight is, respectively, 4.4 and 4.6 kg.
- When 270 days have passed since his birth, he weighs 5.2 kg.
This breed was obtained by crossing a chinchilla rabbit and a White giant, used for obtaining meat and wool.
The appearance is characterized by the presence of strong bones and muscular build in representatives. Their wool is appreciated not only for its density and silkiness, but also for its special gray-blue color.
As soon as such an animal is born, its weight is insignificant - it is equal to only sixty grams.
However, in the future, the Soviet chinchilla begins to actively gain weight. It works like this:
- In just a month, the weight will increase tenfold.
- In two months it will be a one and a half kilogram rabbit.
- Growth during the third month will be slightly slower than during the previous month. 90 days after birth, it will be 2.3 kg.
- After another 30 days, it will become heavier by another 600 grams.
- When 150 days from the moment of birth are over, the mass of the animal will be 3.5 kg.
- For the sixth and seventh months, the fluffy will gain 600 and 500 grams, respectively.
- When this animal turns 8 months old, its weight will be 4.8 kg.
- After 270 days have passed since birth, the mass will reach 5.1 kg.
A representative of this breed, California, as its name suggests, was bred in the United States (California). Breeds of the New Zealand and Himalayan lines were used for breeding.
They are bred in order to obtain dietary meat with an exquisite taste. Representatives of this breed have valuable and high-quality fur. Thus, they are bred as both a meat and a down breed. Moreover, productivity in both cases is high. An adult Californian has an average weight that ranges from 4 to 4.7 kg. It is very rare to find such rabbits weighing more than indicated here.
Californian rabbit weight by month:
- After the end of the thirty-day period, he will gain 600 grams.
- At the end of the second month, the weight will be 1.5 kg.
- Over the next 30 days, he gains, as a rule, 800 grams.
- If 120 days have passed since the rabbit's birth, the mass of the California rabbit will be 3.1 kg.
- Over the next three months, he will gain, respectively, 400, 300 and 300 grams.
- After the end of the eight-month period, the mass of the rabbit will be 4 kg 300 g.
- At the end of the ninth month, the mass of the rabbit will be four and a half kilograms.
The data on how rabbits gain weight as they grow is summarized in the following table.
Features of the growth of rabbits
An important role in how much a rabbit weighs is played by the diet according to which the fluffy is fed. Experts recommend:
- be sure to use grain feed;
- an important role in weight gain is played by the use of proper feed;
- it is necessary to add cake to food;
- rabbits will benefit from young branches from fruit trees;
- it is necessary to add bone meal to food.
You can most rationally determine the timing of slaughter of rabbits if you know the weight of the rabbits by month, a table containing information about the speed at which they gain it at different periods of their lives.