Diarrhea among pigs at any age is called frequent acts of defecation with liquid masses. This is not normal, causing diarrhea, increased movement of stool due to bowel disease. The animal quickly loses weight, weakens, refuses to eat. If the treatment is delayed, animals may die.
Common causes of diarrhea in pigs
- Metabolic problems. May appear due to problems with the diet, change of food, excessive amount of feed or, conversely, too little of it. Avitaminosis and lack of macro and microelements also lead to problems with metabolic processes. In young piglets, a lack of elements necessary for the body can lead to mass mortality;
- Poor quality care. Unsanitary conditions in the pigsty, untreated water or water containing pathological microorganisms, low temperatures in the stable, high humidity;
- Infectious diseases. Moreover, diarrhea is only one of the symptoms of a viral or parasitic disease;
- Food poisoning due to feeding of harmful herbs or substances;
- In piglets up to a week old, liquid diarrhea appears extremely rarely. Occurs due to infectious diseases of the sow. At the same time, the young have no immune system. The problem can arise even before childbirth. In this case, it is necessary to immediately carry out treatment, otherwise the brood may die. Along with the treatment of young animals, it is necessary to apply antibiotics to adults;
Causes of diarrhea in suckers:
- Inflammation of the mammary glands in a lactating pig. The symptoms may not be pronounced, but the composition of the milk changes, leading to problems with the excretory system. If drugs are ineffective for the brood, it is necessary to treat the uterus;
- Often, when feeding, the female can hunt. In this case, the components of the milk change significantly, which leads to diarrhea. Hunting can begin in the second week after farrowing. The female becomes restless, constantly moves, not allowing the young to reach the breast. In this case, the amount of milk can be significantly reduced, which leads to problems with bowel movements;
- A significant decrease in milk supply also leads to diarrhea. The digestive tract of young animals can react violently due to a lack of nutrients. If the animal is skinny, the addition of complementary foods can also cause illness;
- Overfeeding the uterus leads to excess milk and overeating of the young.
- Problems with the conditions of detention, especially the cold.
Diarrhea in piglets: how to treat at home
When a problem arises for a farmer, a natural question arises - piglets vilify, what to do? To get rid of diarrhea that is not caused by infection, it is necessary to restore the mineral balance in the body. For this, the animal is given a 10% solution of potassium chloride three times a day, 10 mg each. In its absence, a 1% salt solution is given at the rate of 5 grams per half liter of water. It is forbidden to give more than 100 g per day.
You can give water acidified with lemon juice.The proportion is 1: 1000. This is necessary to get rid of dehydration.
Medication is carried out exclusively on an empty stomach. When toxocosis appears, enterosorbent agents are used. The drugs are able to effectively get rid of harmful substances. With a long course of the disease, it is necessary to add probiotics and drugs of the sulfanilamide group to the drinkers of animals.
Enzymatic therapy is added to the drugs as a supplement. These can be antihistamines. Additionally, funds are used to strengthen the activity of the heart.
The following measures should be taken:
- Increase the size of the litter, heat the room;
- At the beginning of the disease, completely get rid of food. With severe exhaustion, it is given up to 1/10 of the norm. On the second day of therapy, the isolated animals are brought into the room up to 6 times a day. Serving size - ½ standard. If it is not possible to feed with compound feed, they are replaced with mash with chopped plants and wet corn porridge, wheat bran, chopped carrots;
- Folk methods show high efficiency. You can drink broths of flaxseed, oatmeal or others, which relieves diarrhea due to the enveloping action.
The most effective drugs for treating diarrhea are:
- Brovaseptol in powder form. It is poorly soluble in water, so you need to mix it with feed. Mixing ratio 3-4 g per 1 kg of feed. The course of treatment is 5 days;
- Treatment can be carried out with the drug Regidron. Produced in sachets. The mixture is stirred in a liter of clean water and injected into the mouth of the piglets with a spoon or syringe. The dose is 10 mg per kilogram of live weight. In the absence of funds, you can prepare it yourself by mixing a teaspoon of sugar and salt in a glass of warm water;
- Akolan is used for infectious diseases that cause diarrhea. It can only be used with a precise diagnosis. Solder piglets with water at the rate of 1 g of the product per 10 kg of live weight. Akolan is given twice a day for up to 5 days;
- Brofar - used for infections. Kills a wide range of bacteria. It is administered orally, to each sick piglet at the rate of 0.5 g per 10 kg of weight. Given twice a day;
- Biovit is a brown powder with a high content of useful vitamins and minerals. The dosage depends on the age of the young. A five-day-old piglet is given up to ¾ gram, from 10 days to one month of age the dose is doubled, up to two months the dosage reaches 3g. From two months to six months, the amount of funds increases to 7.5g;
Diarrhea in pigs: how to treat at home
Traditional remedies are used to treat piglet diarrhea caused by non-communicable diseases. Decoctions and tinctures are given, prepared in the same proportions as for people - approximately 10 g of plant materials per quarter liter of boiling water.
what to do if the piglet vilifies:
- Rice talkers are used. A pound of rice is boiled in 5 liters of water, draining the broth and giving the piglets 100 ml three times a day;
- Medicinal chamomile infusions. For cooking, mix plant materials with water in a ratio of 1:10. Sick animals are drunk four times a day before feeding;
- Oak root decoction. Prepared in the ratio of 1 g of plant material to 10 ml of water. You can drink up to 3 times a day before feeding. Dosage - 5 ml per 1 kg of live weight;
- Chicory leaves or root are mixed in a ratio of 50 g to a liter of water. The tool is used 3 times a day before feeding, 10 ml per 1 kg of body weight;
- Nettle tincture in a ratio of 1:10, 5 ml per kilogram four times a day before using compound feed;
- Dry hay infusion;
- Alcohol tincture from coniferous needles. It is given 2 ml three times a day, regardless of the mass. The duration of therapy is up to 5 days;
Which treatment method to choose
The choice of treatment for weaners depends entirely on the cause of the disease.Most often they get sick due to nutritional problems or improper living conditions. In this case, it is enough to fix the problem - to insulate the pigsty, increase or decrease the amount of feed for both young animals and the sow if she continues to feed.
What if the piglet is fed and the diarrhea continues for a long time? In this case, you can try to give the livestock decoctions and infusions from medicinal plants. They will help get rid of toxins in the digestive tract and return the state of the digestive system to normal.
If diarrhea persists, call your veterinarian. The problem is most likely caused by an infectious disease. Bacteria or viruses that reproduce uncontrollably in the body of the animal lead to a weakening and decrease in the growth rate and quality of meat. Therefore, you need to prescribe injections to animals using antibiotics or take antiviral drugs with food.
In order to prevent the death of the livestock, it is much easier to carry out preventive measures than to spend money on treatment. The list of measures to prevent the occurrence of problems with the gastrointestinal tract:
- Compliance with the diet;
- The animal menu should contain all the necessary components for growth and functioning;
- For the prevention of anemia and diarrhea, injections with iron-containing products are used at the age of 5 days;
- Fish oil is added to the feed, as well as products that include vitamins;
- It is forbidden to change the composition of the feed and the volume. Replacements are carried out gradually;
- It is better to grind the feed strongly before feeding;
- The feed should not be soggy or moldy;
- Housing conditions must be suitable for the breed. Hypothermia of the room should not be allowed;
- Feeders and drinkers are cleaned from time to time. The barn is disinfected;
- Pigs of all ages need to be given anthelmintic drugs.
Such measures completely protect young animals from problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Problems with the digestive system in pigs occur much more often than in other animals. Most often, young animals develop diarrhea due to overeating. Long periods of diarrhea without treatment can lead to the death of the livestock. If a problem is found, first it is necessary to conduct a course of restorative measures with an increase in the amount of fluid in the body. With prolonged diarrhea, be sure to call a specialist, because most often this is a consequence of infectious diseases, which, if untreated, lead to mortality, a decrease in growth rates and a deterioration in the quality of meat.